Skip to main content

Wallander Vs Hutch


Wallander vs Hutch
In 1975 I was 17 years old it was the year The Boss Delivered  Born to Run deep into my soul.  TV screen heros came and went with regularity. There were enough detectives on TV to cure all crime. But who was my hero? For instance I never wanted to be Ironside (can you blame me) only flirted with smelly Colombo,(not literally) Kojak was too old like a dodgy uncle but Starsky and Hutch well they were the people to be in the late 70s.
This united pair burst onto the sunny California scean in a Ford Gran Torinos "Bright Red" (paint code 2B). In Aston where I lived there were no hills, no beachs no Bright Red Torinos, but I did have my Austin A40. They ran, jumped into the car without using the doors slid of the roof lounged on the bonnet (hood) and pulled guns and people out of the boot. In my distant days of youth, the days before varifocols and flatulence Starsky and Hutch  inspired Friday night drives in my A40 with The Boss on the cassette player. I looked so cool trying to enter my A40 through the window trying to spin the wheels and stalling.  Their car had an enviable sound (dubbed probably) from a V8, no worries about pollution and tax bands. These detectives had energy and life to the full and an uplifting soundtrack. For me the hero was Starsky with highly fashionable cardy and trainers always trainers so I always had trainers.

2012 Now the soundtrack to my life is Richard Hawley and the detective is Wallander, Kurt is middle-aged. He looks as if he is dressed from anywhere nowhere not even M&S. He is at times a lonely figure in the workplace. No pre-liposuction beach babes at the end of the day for him. Sweden maybe beautiful but it is not California, the low gentle lighting and lack of hills and half-light homes frame him compress him.  Kurts car is an attractive dull Caspian Blue (metallic) Volvo XC70 with a 5 cylinder diesel for efficiency and care for the environment. I have not once seen him jump through the open window of the driver’s door. Is Kurt disappointing? No.    
For kurt’ isolation focus him, his angst clouds his vision to the possibility of joy. His hope is in the dull methodical casework were he craves for an opening. His language visual, to the blind he would be silent.  For me he is the hero of today working against all odds, his reward only in the positive conclusion of the case. He is my Jeremiah. His borderline depression is ok if not almost desirable. He is not newwine or oldwine he is anywine at the end of the day. (as long as it’s redwine) he seems broken yet functioning not triumphant but determined committed reflective. His fear of the gun and death give us who at times are unsure how to live life to the full a man to follow. For the men who find it difficult to be the pumped up hero of the V8 torino Kurt offers a new Jeremiah.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When I came back to my Deanery in 2000 to my

The End is nigh

If you watch old black and white TV programs it is possible to see usually a man wearing a sandwich board stating  ‘The end is nigh’ . We look back and perhaps see how misguided they were, wrong time? Wrong place?  They were people who were passionate and prepared to stand out of the crowd for their cause. Those people who tried to guide us in a different direction are now images of ridicule and sly or open laughter. So where are they today? My feeling is these sandwich board bearers of the past are now the politicians of our government yes the once ridiculed people of the 50s have become politicians of today. Don’t be daft I hear you say they are not as ill thought out as those narrow minded misguided people of the past. Well I believe so and I see them imbedded in the in out EU argument. I feel I am being guided by the conversation of fear.  Woe to us if we stay in woe woe to us if we leave. This form of argument is straight out of the 1950s our politicians today are black and white

me

I was and still am very unsure whether to post this blog. I still may regret it. I have always understood myself as strong male working-class urban solder normally ready for the conflict of the day. I used to say to my congregation occasionally if you knew me when I was 21 you would not like me. In my youth I was one half of the union rep who would go and bang on the managers desk for what seemed at the time important and usually unjust reasons. I once remember going to my manager and he giving bad news, my response was to say ‘that’s not fair!’ His response - ‘Who told you life was fair?’ I say this as a short introduction to my character. I am not like John the Beloved, quiet and reflective (but that is changing).   I am more like Peter; impetuous, verbal, quick to promise, quick to react, but passionate for the cause. But there is a cost to being passionate and outspoken. The flip side for me is darkness and depression. Rejection of something you believe in your very cor